Summer Cinema 2016 films will be screened at dusk (around 8:45 p.m.) on Wednesday nights, from June 29 through July 28, on the East Lawn of Norris Center on the Evanston campus.
Special pre-movie events will begin at 7:30 p.m., and family-friendly treats, including free popcorn at every movie event, will be available prior to all screenings.
If it rains, the scheduled film will be screened indoors in Norris Center’s 360-seat McCormick Auditorium, located on the first floor. All activities also will be moved inside on the ground floor.
Moviegoers are encouraged to bring their lawn chairs, blankets, food, beverages (alcoholic beverages are prohibited) and an environmentally-friendly insect repellent.
Free parking is available after 4 p.m. in the two-level lakefront lot south of Norris Center.
Information related to the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) ratings shown above is available online.
For more Summer Cinema information, visit the Norris Center website.
Summer Cinema 2016
- June 29 -- “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” (J.J. Abrams, United States, 2015, 136 minutes). Three decades after the defeat of the Galactic Empire, a new threat arises. The First Order attempts to rule the galaxy, and only a ragtag group of heroes can stop them, along with the help of the Resistance. This action adventure film stars Daisy Ridley, John Boyega and Oscar Isaac. Special audience treats: sand art and glowsticks. (PG-13 rating)
- July 6 -- “Inside Out,” (Pete Doctor and Ronnie Del Carmen, United States, 2015, 95 minutes). Disney-Pixar’s animated adventure comedy follows young Riley, who is uprooted from her Midwest life after she and her family move to San Francisco. The young girl’s emotions of joy, fear, anger, disgust and sadness conflict with how best to navigate a new city, new house and new school. The film features the voiceovers of Amy Poehler, Bill Hader, Mindy Kaling and Diane Lane. Special audience treat: free ice cream creations. (PG rating)
- July 13 -- “Raiders of the Lost Ark” (Steven Spielberg, United States, 1981, 115 minutes).This special screening celebrates the 35th anniversary of Spielberg’s popular action adventure film. Set in 1936, the film follows archaeologist and adventurer Indiana Jones, who is hired by the U.S. government to find the Ark of the Covenant before the Nazis. It stars Harrison Ford and Karen Allen.Special audience treats: $1.35 hot dog (cash only) and free chips and lemonade. (PG rating)
- July 20 -- “The Mask” (Chuck Russell, United States, 1994, 101 minutes). This Oscar-nominated action-adventure, starring Jim Carrey and Cameron Diaz, follows a bank clerk who is transformed into a manic superhero when he wears a mysterious mask. Special audience treat:free cotton candy. (PG-13 rating)
- July 27 -- “Zarafa” (Remi Bezancon and Jean-Christophe Lie, France and Belgium, 2012, 78 minutes). This animated film follows the adventures of Maki, a young boy who escapes from slave traders, befriends a giraffe (the title character), crosses the desert, and meets a pirate and others on a trip that takes him from Africa to Paris. Special audience treat: a balloonist will be creating free animal balloons for young filmgoers. (Not rated)
View the original story here.