Northwestern Career Advancement (NCA)—formerly University Career Services—has a new name that reflects its focus on helping Northwestern students through the career advancement process in a personal and optimal way.
Along with its new name, this month NCA unveiled a redesigned website with improved functionality and fresh, industry- and school-specific content. Visit northwestern.edu/careers and follow @NUCareerAdvance on Twitter to learn more.
Northwestern alumni interested in helping fellow Wildcats with their career advancement can support NCA and Northwestern students in a variety of ways, whether it’s discussing career paths with a student during an informational interview or arranging for a student to shadow alumni for a day at their place of employment. Here are just a few opportunities:
- Join the Northwestern Career Advancement LinkedIn Group. Students are encouraged to join the group as a way to explore careers and connect with Northwestern professionals. With more than 6,000 group members, you can share career resources virtually.
- Speak with a student who has been invited to interview with your company.
- Support the Summer Internship Grant Program.
- Participate in the Northwestern Externship (NEXT) Program. NCA partners with the Northwestern Alumni Association (NAA) to host a one-day shadowing program that offers current Northwestern students the opportunity to accompany alumni on the job to learn more about different professional fields.
- Return to campus for mock interviews. NCA partners with the NAA to host mock interviewing events to prepare students for behavioral-based interviewing in all fields.
- Tweet at NCA's job/internship-focused Twitter account @JobsForCats about full-time, part-time and internship positions within your company.
- Blog for NCA's Employer Spotlight Blog Series. This series showcases the career experience and advice of alumni and gives current Northwestern students an idea of what it’s like to work in an industry or organization of their interest.
- Hire Northwestern talent by creating internship opportunities.
- Connect NCA with your University Relations or Recruiting Team and bring ‘Cats into your company.
Are you interested in one of the engagement opportunities listed above, or do you have another idea of how you can give back? Talk with NCA today so its staff can connect your strengths and relationships with the Northwestern community. Contact Katie Farrington, Internship Specialist at Northwestern Career Advancement, with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit the Northwestern News Center to listen to an audio interview about NCA with Mark Presnell, NCA executive director, and Alice Harra, NCA director of employer recruiting and engagement.
For more stories from this month's Alumni News, visit the NAA on Our Northwestern, the University's online community.